A day late I know. (Whoopsie!) But better late than never. August – You were a gem (for the most part!) Surprises, holiday, anniversary, sun, sea, laughter, memories. After experiencing a creative block in regards to the flat we’re back in business with a few tricks up our sleeve so watch this space! So excited to finally be making progress again. (Baby steps!) This post is all about my September goals.
This year really is flying by! September – I’m ready for you. Chunky knits, cosy blankets and an excuse (who am I kidding? As if I need an excuse!) to fill the house with candles – things that are truly some of the biggest gems life has to offer. I don’t have a favourite season – I’ve learnt to love them all for their individual beauties, but there is something special about Autumn.
New day, new month, new table – does it get much better?!
I’ve been trying to find something for this space for so long, so when I saw that this little beauty from Habitat was reduced (praise Jesus for bank holiday discounts!), it simply confirmed that it was the one.
This month is already jam-packed with activities, birthday celebrations and hopefully lots more surprises!
1. Take a break. Easier said then done, I know, but one thing I realised when I was on holiday is that I never have time to simply take a break. Scratch that – I never make time to simply take a break. When I was away I read two books and realised how much I missed it. Such a small thing, but it’s a small thing that I love, a small thing that in a way is a little reward to myself – a chance for me to escape for a bit. Why is it that we let ourselves lose sight of things we love? I’m taking the bull by the horns and promising that I’m going to pick up a paperback or two from time to time. Have you read any good books lately that you’d recommend? I’d love to know!
2. Project house to home. Over the last few months ‘project house to home’ has come to a bit of a standstill as I have been struck by a severe case of creative paralysis. Frustrating to say the least! BUT – there is light at the end of the tunnel! I’ve come to the conclusion that holidays cure everything. That one week away has done the world of good – I can finally look at everything with a fresh pair of eyes and a clear mind. I have had so many ideas over the past week that they’re practically coming out of my ears! First up I’m finally upcycling my hideous bedside tables and chest of drawers in the bedroom! I can’t explain how excited I am. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan!
3. Look in your heart and write. I feel like Oh So Mint has taken a bit of a backseat recently and we’ve somewhat fallen out of love with each other. The truth is – Oh So Mint has been one of the best things I’ve done in a long time and I need to remember why I started. I started because I love writing. It’s that simple. But recently I’ve got caught up in caring what people think all over again and I need to nip it in the bud. Pronto. Starting a blog meant pushing myself completely out of my comfort zone, which I won’t lie was tough. Really tough. There was a moment of reflection when I looked at my life and asked myself, “What do you do for fun?” And there it was – complete mind blank. Nothing. There was nothing I could name that I do for fun, that I do for the benefit of no one else but myself. When I was younger I would sit and write stories and poems for hours. I was the girl at school that had a list of hobbies as long as her arm – I did what I loved. I’ve grown up, of course, but I feel like I’ve lost a part of myself along the way. I love to be creative and this month I want to shrug off the negative thoughts, stop worrying what people think and just push myself further – push Oh So Mint further and give it the attention that it deserves. Give myself the attention I deserve. For no one else but me.
4. Every cloud. For any one who knows me/ follows me on Instagram will know that June was a difficult month for me. I promised myself that I’d make a conscious effort to be more positive, which I mentioned in my post The Little Things. And do you know what? I don’t think I’ve ever been happier, and I put it all down to this. Don’t get me wrong – July and August bought their fair share of challenges, but I’ve realised how important it is to see the good in everything. To enjoy the little things in life. So I’m making sure that these positive pants I’ve been wearing recently stay firmly on. Every cloud and all that.
5. The power of a pamper. It’s amazing what a good old pamper can do isn’t it? I love nothing more than having a night in, sticking on a chick flick and doing nothing but painting my nails with a face mask on – maybe even a hair mask too! (I know, how wild am I?) Have you tried any new products that you’d recommend? Or a perfect film for a girlie night in?
What are your goals for September?
“Time is a precious thing. Never waste it.”